You’ve decided to re-create a page that you had previously deleted. You want the re-created page to have the same title and permalink that the first version of the page had. Doesn’t seem like a lot to ask for.
However, after re-creating the page a couple of times, the permalink has become www.yoursite/page-name-2 (each time the page is re-created, the assigned number will be incremented by 1.) You click the “edit” button and change the permalink, but it doesn’t take and reverts to the new permalink.
If you’re like me, you don’t like this new permalink – it’s not clean or simple to remember and you really want the old name back. The reason the page cannot be assigned the same permalink is that the original page still exists. Specifically, it is in the “trash”. In order to re-claim the original permalink, the original page must be deleted permanently from the trash can. This can be done by:
1. Choose the “Pages” option at the Dashboard.
2. Click on “Trash” at the top of the page.
3. Choose to “Delete Permanently” the page in question.
4. Go back to “Pages”.
5. Choose to “edit” the page who’s permalink you want to change.
6. Now when you choose to “edit” the permalink, the change will take.